Sunday, January 18, 2015

Grandpa Holmes Heaven Day

Grandpa's heaven day was yesterday. He's been there for 11 years now. He's up there with Nana and my daddy. Grandpa was a bear of a man who knew what frugal was long before it was cool. All the books I've gotten about paying down debt and living beneath my means are all the words of grandpa Holmes. Too bad I was hearing them when I was 16 years old and knew it all. So now at the age of almost 45 I'm putting those words into practice. I remember gardening with him and watching him can and freeze the food he grew. He also made wine- pretty sure that was 100 proof. Only sipped that once- once was enough. He played the trumpet and loved to cut wood. He loved his family and provided for them far into his years. He was a gruff kind of guy, but the leader of my tribe and I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment